Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hey, maybe I'm a critic, a cynic. Or am I jaded or am I afraid of it?

I think sometimes I think things that I am afraid people would misunderstand if I said them out loud.  I have opinions about things that may not be the most popular, or maybe they are and I just don't know 'cause I hold them in.  Maybe because my lowest score on my Spiritual Gift Inventory Test is always mercy, I just don't naturally consider other peoples feelings about stuff as much as I should.  I find it difficult to have a comic's wittiness, yet temper it with a pastor's wisdom.

For example:  I find southern gospel the absolute worst music to ever have been invented.  Some of you are very ticked off right now.  Is it my fault that I would rather listen to fingernails on a chalk board than to listen to four fat guys sing, "Mary was the first one to carry the gospel"?  I guess I can't figure out why being honest about stuff as a Christian gets you into trouble.  I am not saying that southern gospel IS definitively the worst music ever, I am just saying, for me, I would rather be a Mubarak supporter in Cairo right now than to go to a Gaither's Homecoming event.  I am sure that some people would feel the same way about music I like.  If it isn't your cup of tea, why should you be forced to pretend you like it?  Then again maybe I should just smile and nod and lie to the person who asks if I consider the Chuckwagon gang to be as influential to Christian music as the Carolina Crossmen.


God made us different.  He gave us different likes, dislikes, and tastes.  I think that God made us that way so that we wouldn't be boring.  He obviously likes variety.  The are hundreds of species of ants.  Ants.  Seriously ants.  To me an ant is an ant, why the need for so many?  God likes differences.  


Let's try to be real as Christians.  If you are sporting Flock of Seagulls on your iPod, don't pretend all you listen to is Chris Tomlin.  If you are a fan of Fight Club...don't talk about it, it will get you kicked out.  (It's the first rule)  Quit pretending.  If you only listen to Christian music, the only book you read is the Bible, you never watch TV...even sports, you have never enjoyed a movie, all of your conversations mention Christ, you pray unceasingly, you never go on the internet, you never gossip, and you tithe your ten percent, then stand up and shout it from the mountaintops that you are the greatest Pharisee alive!    


The fact of the matter is while we are not a part of this world, we still live here.  When I travel to a foreign country, I eat their food, watch their TV, listen to their music, and participate in their lifestyle as long as it doesn't contradict scripture and the convictions God has laid on my heart.  In the same way we are to live here on earth.  We participate in culture.  Everybody knows it.  Accept it. Leverage it for Christ.  Let's quit being pompous and righteous and start being real.  The disciples had faults, and they walked with Jesus everyday for three years.  Their faults were listed in the most read book of all time, think about that the next time you mess up!


I believe, again, it all boils down to grace and truth.  I believe that we should speak truth at all times, yet temper it with grace...when it comes to conversations that matter.  As far as what music we listen to, sports team we cheer for, or pastor we like the best, well then all bets are off.



No comments:

Post a Comment