I am sitting in my office, with my light off as usual, staring out the window at the trees moving in the biting cold wind. People ask why I don't turn on my office light. I find it relaxing, and the light that comes through my window, unfettered by blinds or shades, is plenty of light to see by. The harshness of the overhead light seems cold and impersonal. It contradicts the work that I am doing on a day to day basis. The work of our Lord that is neither cold or impersonal.
Today I sit in my darkened office with a head cold. I am also sore from the rousing game of flag football we played yesterday after church. I feel awful, still good enough to play in an NFC Championship game, but awful. That is life however. Constantly moving like a river. Never pausing for sickness or strife. It would be nice to have a pause button so that we could take a time out every now and again to rest or recuperate, but since God didn't give us one I assume he means for us to make due.
Romans 5:3-5
More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
Take joy in the hard moments, they give hope that will not disappoint. Hard lesson, good truth. Hard to compare a head cold and sore knees with what Paul went through (see 2 Corinthians 11:25) but I don't own a boat. So I need to rejoice in the fact that God has given me this dark office to work in. That He is neither cold nor impersonal. And that because of His love I can be assured that I have hope for today.
No comments:
Post a Comment