Some of my friends today are putting out part one of a two part EP. GRAMMY Nominated for Best Rock or Rap Gospel Album in 2008, After Edmund is releasing Times Have Changed. (They lost the Grammy to Toby Mac) The story of the friendship should make for a good blog post, and maybe if they read this a free CD for Trevor, who knows.
Just outside of Montgomery, AL, there is a concert that is put on every year called En Fuego. It is a free event that is put on by volunteers. They feature Christian bands, some local, but mostly big name acts. They have had Third Day, Skillet, Barlow Girl, TobyMac, and others. One year they had a band called After Edmund on the docket. One of the promotions that they ran along with the concert series was where you could book an artist that would be playing in the event. Long story short we booked the AE guys.
Two weeks before they came to play for us, Mitch (lead vocals, guitar, bass guitar, keys...well they all pretty much play everything) called me and asked if there was anything he could be praying for for our students. I though that was really classy and no artist I have booked before or since has done that. When they arrived, they had this really cool bus, that they have since left sitting on the side of the road with a sign that said "Free Bus" after it broke down. When Mitch got out of the bus the first thing he asked me was, "We are contemplating doing a stage show where we have antlers coming out of helmets, do you think that would be cool." I replied, "You and I are going to be friends."
We had booked them for two nights and so we got to hang out some after the show and the next day where we video taped Mitch throwing candles at me while I was cutting them in half with my samurai sword. When packing up after that event somebody, probably Ben, packed my guitar case in their trailer. After realizing this, we arranged to meet for lunch when they came back through town. That became a tradition of sorts. Most times when they pass through wherever I happen to be, they stop for lunch or dinner and we just hang out.
One of the best times had to have been when I was in a Lifeway bookstore with them. Mitch had left his pedal board or guitar in LaGrange and didn't realize it until they were about three hours away, and so they had to wait until somebody brought it to them before they could take off. We ate lunch and then decided to go to Lifeway. If you have never been to a Lifeway with a band who has a CD on the rack, you should try it sometime. I convinced a young lady to buy their CD, but only after they promised her a money back guarantee if she didn't like the music. Fun times.
I say all that to say go on iTunes later today, tomorrow, whenever and download the latest EP from some great guys that you will probably get to meet in the future, as they have played at every church I have been a part of since I was in AL. That EP is Times Have Changed by After Edmund. Find them on Facebook, follow them on Twitter, tell them I sent you...still looking for a free CD!
Click this link to buy the EP for $4.99!! http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/afteredmund2
No comments:
Post a Comment