Monday, January 17, 2011

Guerilla Style Evangelism

Recently on Facebook, I read a post from a youth pastor.

It reminded students to befriend an outcast and invite them to church.  When I read that I cringed.  I understand, at least I think I do, the heart behind it.  Find a lonely friend, sit down and eat lunch with them.  On the surface very noble and Christ like thing to do.  Inviting them to church is not a bad idea either.  I too encourage my students to invite their friends, or even strangers to church.  However, the message I fear we are sending to our students, and to an unchristian world for that matter, is dangerous.  I googled the first thing that came to my mind when I read this.

I searched guerilla warfare. This is the definition from Wikipedia:

Guerrilla warfare is a form of irregular warfare and refers to conflicts in which a small group of combatants including, but not limited to, armed civilians use military tactics, such as ambushes, sabotage, raids, the element of surprise, and extraordinary mobility to harass a larger and less-mobile traditional army, or strike a vulnerable target, and withdraw almost immediately.  


Whether it is our intention or not.  This world is perceiving that this is our strategy, and by and large they are not fans.  The similarities between evangelism and guerilla warfare are striking and an indictment on the way we have been going about sharing the love of Christ.  Shouldn't our goal be more than find an outcast, befriend them, invite them to church?

Jesus deserves and demands more than that.

Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment